I’m thinking about becoming a support worker, how do I make it happen?

Hi there and welcome to this week’s blog!

This week, I wanted to talk about becoming a support worker and what you need to do before you start to  deliver services.

I believe that to provide support to other people is a privilege, that the quality of the care and support workforce really matters – and it can be a great and satisfying career!

And now is a great time to become a support worker because demand is very high and the need is only going to keep growing!   The combination of Australia’s ageing population and the national roll-out of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is creating increasing demand for care and support services, and there is currently a distinct shortage of support workers to satisfy their needs.  It is anticipated that the aged care and disability support workforce in Australia will need to double by 2030.

So how do you get involved and what sort of people is the industry looking for? 

First things first.  You have to be doing it for the right reasons.  

Are you passionate about providing care or support that enhances and enriches the lives of the elderly and people with disability?  Are you truly an empathetic ‘people person’? Are you flexible, compassionate, and reliable? Are you honest and do you have high levels of personal integrity?  Have you cared for a family member or friend in the past and found it to be really satisfying?  

If you answered ‘Yes’ to these questions, then a career as a support worker might be for you.

Whether you’re looking at joining an established service provider organisation, or thinking about working for yourself, you will need to consider the following general requirements:

  • Police Check report 
  • Working with Children Check and/or Yellow Card Exemption
  • First Aid & CPR training
  • Certificate III in Individual Support (or similar/higher level qualification)
  • Reliable car and driver’s licence – for in-home support
  • Australian Business Number (ABN) – if self employed
  • Insurance – if self employed

Depending on whether you work with aged customers or people with disability, in the community or in a residential facility, and who your employer is, your job title could be any of the following:  Support Worker, Personal Care Worker, Assistant in Nursing, Care Worker, or Personal Care Assistant.

If you’re interested in knowing more about what a career in support work can mean for you, please feel free to reach out to me on 1300 312 510 or info@carehive.net.au, I’m always too happy to listen and lend a hand.

All the best,

Therese Mulherin